I don’t remember when I realized that being an adult wasn’t what I thought it would be. Paying bills, trying to figure out health insurance options and 401Ks, managing money, keeping the house clean, and working a full time job without summers off? What? And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Add social obligations on top of the everyday business and your head starts spinning. At times it’s hard to remember the good things when you’re so consumed with the details and challenges of everyday life. CALGON, TAKE ME AWAY!
This week, I decided to start a list to remind myself of the benefits that come with adulthood. These were at the top:
- If you don’t like it, you don’t have to eat it (or figure out how to slyly get it into the garbage without being noticed).
- No enforced bedtime. You can stay up as late as you want binge watching Netflix OR go to bed at 8pm, your call.
- Happy Hour! Sometimes a cocktail is just what the doctor ordered, all the better when shared with friends.
- You can dye your hair any color that you want. In that same vein, you can pierce and tattoo things.
- No one will ground you if you stay out too late.
- You appreciate the little things more, like age, beauty and wisdom.
- You find the friends that you’ve been searching for your entire life because you’re all improving with age.
- You become more comfortable in your own skin the longer you wear it.
- You can eat the entire pizza out of the pizza box balanced on your knees while watching television.
- A great meal or afternoon out can feel like a mini-vacation in the midst of everyday madness.
- You can put Nutella on anything that you want.
- You actually enjoy working in the garden.
- You can give yourself a timeout if you need it.
What are some of your favorite things?